Saturday, March 6, 2010

January

Yes its over. And aren't we all glad? I know I am. I hate the cold, I hate the snow. It was my little girls birthday, she turned 4 years old. Which makes me so sad, but happy at the same time. My mom tells me that they call it the 'fabulous fours' Some days I think this is definately true. Some of the things she says and does just make me laugh. Other times (like when she sat in the hall and told me she hated me) not so much.

January was also my mom's birthday. She is an amazing woman. She does so much, and January was a very busy, difficult month. Two days after her birthday my little sister left to the MTC (missionary training center) and two weeks after that to Tampa Florida where she is a missionary. We are all so proud of her, but we miss her a ton, and I know it was really hard for my mom.

This brings me to my first finished knitting project of 2010, a drop stitch scarf for my mom. I dyed the colors that reminded me most of her this time of year. This patter is amazing. It looks very difficult, but it in fact (although mind numbing and horrendously repetetive) its very easy. It shows off the colors in the yarn amazingly. When it starts to get cold again I might (gasp!) make one for myself.

Did you know that scarves are incredibly hard to photograph? Especially when you are the world's worst and cheapest photographer and your background consists of a white posterboard that has been bent by your dear children. Anywho, hear is the best picture I could muster up:



Another January project was a candle flame cowl. I adored this pattern as well, and knit it with bulky gaia that I dyed up in my friend Mary Kate's favorite colors of turquoise, purple and green. I don't have any picture of it though, I forgot to take some before it went to its new home.

Can you imagine it though? Here is the yarn:



and the pattern is here:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/candle-flame-cowl

Finally, I tried my hand at a newborn vest. I love how it came out. It hasn't sold yet and I'm secretly hoping it doesn't so I can stash it away for the possibility of a baby boy someday. My husband (who usually could care less about anything yarn) adores it.

No comments: